I have spent over a decade working with at-risk youth, ages 16 to 27. I’m an experienced counselor of Intensive Inpatient and Outpatient Groups (IOP) for adults and adolescents. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) groups called Emotions and Employability is also something I enjoy facilitating. Prior to a career in mental health, I worked my way from parts clerk to regional customer service manager in the semiconductor (high tech) industry, covering a region from Texas to Minnesota and everything West, plus Florida! This first career allowed me to hone my skills as a leader, troubleshooter, problem-solver, and paradigm shifter. I bring these skills and a variety of mental health therapeutic tools together to work for you.
- Master of Science in Social Work from The University of Texas at Austin
- Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Communication from St. Edward’s University
- Licensed Master of Social Work (LMSW); 2005
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), with supervisor designation; 2007
- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC); 2013
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW) member
- Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) member
- Austin Chapter of Texas Association of Addiction Professionals (TAAP) member
- Board member serving as Co-Secretary since 2018
- American Psychological Association (APA) member
And now…(if you have time)
This is a quick story about the image of the Glorious Tree on my website. I took this picture at the school where I spent over 10 years assisting thousands of young people at Gary Job Corps. Many years ago, while attending an annual gathering of men in New Mexico, we sat in a ceremonial circle where a Shaman joined us. She started ‘seeing’ and describing each of our spirit animals. When she came to me, she hesitated and then skipped me saying she would get back to me. I admit that I was disappointed at first, but this quickly gave way to curiosity. When she worked her way back around to me, she said I was actually not an animal at all. She said my ‘spirit’ was that of a Giant Glorious Tree. I thought, What? A tree? She could see the confusion on my face; she then explained her vision of people coming to sit in the comfort of my shade, to relax, rest and feel safe, to think things through and discuss what was bothering them. After I thought about it, this rang very true for me. This analogy fits the type of service I offer to you.
So come sit with me, relax, and let’s talk about what’s going on. You can share with me what you’d like and we’ll come up with strategies and a solid plan to get you started on making positive changes in your life. If you don’t like sitting in an office, I am also available for long walks.
Call me today and let’s get started.