So, it’s another school year. New friends. Old Friends… and some old not so good friends. Some of you are going back to the same school and some are starting at a new school. Most of the time there are now real surprises. Even so, it can be stressful. Some unsolicited (look ‘unsolicited’ up if you need to) tips from an old guy.
1. Do try to put the phone down or turn the computer off at a reasonable time, not because your parents want you to, but because it really is important for you to get 8 hours of sleep. REALLY.
2. Choose your friends wisely. Do the people you are getting to know do the right things? You know what I mean. Friend Test Question: Does this person make my life better or more stressful? If the answer is ‘makes my life better’ then go for it. If they make your life more stressful… well, you don’t need it. Studying, good relationships and exercise is stressful enough. Which brings me to…
3. Exercise is important. Keep yourself in good physical shape. It will help your mood and give you better energy to do the things you want to do. War games on the computer is NOT exercise. No matter how ‘into it’ you get. Take a walk for about 30 minutes each day. No, walking between classes does not count as a walk.
4. Eat the right things. Balanced diet will help your brain function at its best. Less sugars is better than more. Try drinking water. Just water for three days out of each week. Water Wednesday and Saturation Saturday would be two of the days. Just add in a third and you’re all set.
5. Study early on in the semester. A little bit each day. Don’t try to cram it in at the end. And in case you haven’t discovered this yet, repetition is what it takes to get information stuck in your head. Reading something once doesn’t get it, well for most people. Take good notes (ask a teacher if you are not sure how. they will help).
One final tip: It takes a strong person to speak up and ask for help when they need it. Be strong. Take care of yourself and have a great year!