Let’s talk about NONO. And I don’t mean an Italian Grandfather. I speaking of Negative Overwhelming News Overload. Constantly checking the news can make the world seem like a very negative place. And to be sure, some places are experiencing very unpleasant events that make the news overwhelmingly, well, negative. And we don’t get news stories just once at 5:30 pm like in the old days. We expose ourselves to the same negative news story over and over through a variety of sources all throughout our day. This has a huge, negative impact on the way we view our world. And, if our worldview is negative, we can easily become overwhelmed with frustration, anxiety, or even depression. Wow, that’s a lot of negatives. I propose eight ways to counter this negativity.
- Limit your exposure. Check the news only once or twice a day. Others will let you know if something really big happens.
- Make a call to a friend or family member you have been putting off (and don’t talk about the news).
- Do some box breathing.
- Read something enjoyable just for fun.
- Make time for yoga, a walk, or exercise.
- Write down some gratitudes.
- Take positive action to reverse the negative news you were exposed to (donate your time or money or invest in some self-education).
- (Insert your NONO resolution here!)